Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Unit 9 Project


  1. Introduction:
    Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?
It is important for professionals to develop, because if we are not spiritually, physiologically, or physically healthy we cannot help others.  If the practitioner if not healthy in any one of these areas how can they be expected to guide other people to wellness.  The areas that I personally need to develop are all three areas. I need to manage my diet to be physically healthier.  I have had spiritual gaps and need guidance from my pastor to close those gaps.  Psychologically I need to develop my meditation in order to find inner peace.

  1. Assessment:
    How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?
I would rate my physically wellbeing at a 7 out of 10. I am aware of my choices and am seeking to make better diet choices as well as making a work out plan with my daughter.  Spiritually I would rate myself at a 7 out of 10.  I have identified my gaps and am seeking out spiritual counseling to close those gaps. Psychologically I would rate myself at a 8 out of 10.  I have amazed myself with actually accomplishing a form of meditation and will continue to practice to improve my skills.

  1. Goal development:
    List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.
Physical: I want to make better choices in my diet and lose 20lbs to lose my physical health and decrease the amount of medicines I have to take on a daily basis.
Psychological: I want to practice meditation daily to increase my skills and a form of inner quiet and peace.
Spiritual: I want to find a signal church to go to.

  1. Practices for personal health:
    What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
Physical: I want to increase my intake of fruits and vegetables and decrease my intake of carbs. Example would be having a piece of fruit between breakfast and lunch, and an extra serving of vegetables by having a V8 juice drink between lunch and dinner.  An example of an exercise would be walking my dogs each evening for thirty minutes.
Psychological: My strategy to foster growth would be practicing meditation daily for at least 15 to 30 minutes in a quite area such as the park next to the water bank while listening to classical music.  Another example would be doing Tai Chi next to the lake as well.
Spiritual: My strategy is to seek out various churches in order to find one church that meets my spiritual needs.  An example would be to attend a different church and meet with each pastor.  An exercise to choose and clear my head would be to do yoga or polities to relax my mind and body before attending church.

  1. Commitment:
    How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
To track my progress I will make a tracking chart and place it on my computer and log choices in food, exercise, and attendance to church each day/week/month. And I will check my progress at the end of each month and total my progress at the end of the six months.

3 comments:

  1. References:
    Dacher, Elliott S. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan! On the weight loss, work on enjoying every bite. Slow it down. Also, there are great supplements like Juicefestiv from Costco that gives you all the veggies and fruits you need for a day in a single shot. If you don't do that just go for lots of color variety. Put them in a smoothie if you need to. Have fun. I watch my church on TV as I got sick of going through the motions every Sunday. I got over feeling guilty when I didn't go. I'm sure that's not what God has planned. I know my heart is in the right place. Good luck to you. I'm in San Diego if you ever get this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great paper! When I first started eating healthy it was for weight loss but now I do it for my health. The same goes for my exercise routine. It took me awhile to realize that just because people are thin that don't make them healthy. I also make sure my son know the importance and he and I exercise together sometimes. I also like you plan for spiritual health too. I have friends that tend to recommend their personal spiritual needs to me but i feel that everyone has different needs and have to have their own personal spiritual relationship. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete